Don’t Drink Sake like a Douche

Written by on March 31, 2011 in Liquor - 10 Comments

This is a guest post by Lydia Johnson. Lydia likes wheat beers and malbecs and whiskey, primarily. I’ll try anything. Except hops. I hate hops. Blech.

Creative Commons Photo Credit: tokyonatural

A lot of people, especially bachelors, in Columbus seem to think that the proper way to drink sake is to shoot it. Because it comes in a shot glass, right? This observation stems from my personal experience in various first-date scenarios at sushi restaurants throughout Columbus. Who knows how many of you I haven’t dated yet think the proper way to drink sake is to dump it piping hot down your throats like a flaming Dr. Pepper.

You should know, in Japan, high grade sake is served cold. Warm sake is preferred in the winter, but heating a fine sake can harm its integrity. You’ll often see less expensive, lower quality sake served warm because the heat masks the impurities and less-than-stellar flavors they may behold. But there’s also a chance that your sake may be heated at a temperature that is too high, which is not good for that little piece of skin just above your two front teeth on the roof of your mouth. Just sayin’.

Regardless of temperature, don’t shoot your sake. Sake is a fermented rice drink. It’s not a beer, wine or liquor. The alcohol content is higher than beer or wine, typically 15-17%. Just sip it, kind of how you would enjoy wine or tea.

For some added authenticity, when you’re not imbibing solo, don’t let your friends pour their own sake. It’s the custom in Japan to pour for one another. And if someone tries to pour for you, politely lift your glass to meet the flask that they are (hopefully) holding with two hands.

If you remember these three things: 1) Don’t request a fine sake to be warmed 2) Don’t take it like a Washington Apple on spring break and 3) Do pour for your friends, you’ll avoid looking like a typical Midwestern-who-only-orders-California-rolls diner when you sit down to a nice sushi dinner.

You’re welcome.

About the Author

Guest post

10 Comments on "Don’t Drink Sake like a Douche"

1. Bobby Roberts April 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM · Reply

Lydia, I love this…I enjoy sake, but I agree, too many people serve it too warm.

2. Luke May 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM · Reply

I kind of like it warm, but like you said, mostly in winter. The best sakes I’ve had were served cold, and I would never shoot any sake, warm or cold. You’d miss the whole experience that way! This post conjures images of affliction-shirted dudes slamming sake.

3. Kathryn keller April 16, 2016 at 12:58 PM · Reply

Thank you loved this.

4. MrEcstatic September 28, 2016 at 1:38 AM · Reply

Thanks for the tip. Nobody ever told me about this but ever since I first tried sake, I’ve been sipping it instead of shooting it and I enjoy the taste very much.

5. Jessica Schmidt November 18, 2016 at 12:27 AM · Reply

I just moved to Japan, and luckily haven’t had sake in public yet. Thanks for saving me from making these mistakes! A japanese friend of mine actually just gave me some sake he got from Tokyo, so I’ll keep this in mind when I feel like drinking it.

6. Laua Meza Mendoza May 8, 2017 at 12:10 AM · Reply

7. Laua Meza Mendoza May 8, 2017 at 12:11 AM · Reply

Yesterday I tried a Sake Shooter where they take the bottle and dump down your throat. They have a countdown. I ended up messing up my shot. I spit it out. It tasted weird and I did not like it. This was my first time eating at a Japanese Sushi restaurant. I was so embarrassed. Is there a to shoot the Sake without having to spit it out. Help!!

• Eve May 16, 2017 at 5:40 PM · Reply

Dear Ms. Mendoza,

Looking for a way to drink sake and not spit it out? Might help to buy a bottle and take it home. My local grocery store sells Gekkeikan brand. Probably not the finest of the fine, but not terrible. Then try it out in private to get comfortable with it’s taste and scent. Sip it slowly. I didn’t like it -at all- at first. Years later tried it again and liked it. I love it warm in winter! Remember, it’s okay if you don’t care for it now or ever!

8. Epsilon August 21, 2017 at 4:39 PM · Reply

“is not wine or beer or liquor”

Sake is literally rice wine made in a manner similar to beer so yeah no

Also who are you,or anyone else,to tell others how to drink?It’s one thing to explain how it’s traditionally drank and why it’s drank in certain ways based on when it’s consumed and the quality,but calling someone a douche because they prefer to take it as a shot?That’s a much more douchey thing to do.How a person enjoys anything should be up to them.Unless a person is hogging something or being rude,let them enjoy what they like HOW they like it.

• AHN September 7, 2017 at 7:27 AM · Reply

Thank you. I agree with your comment. I sip sake and drink it slowly, but don’t go around calling people a douche for drinking something the way they enjoy. Do explain the tradition, but don’t resort to name calling.