National Mead Day will be held on Saturday, August 3rd this year, and Brothers Drake is throwing a bash to celebrate all things mead. Mead, if you didn’t know, is a fermented beverage made from honey, water, and yeast – like wine, but with honey subbed for the grape juice.
The event kicks off at 11 AM and runs til close. Why should you come? There’ll be food, fun activities, and booze – everything you need for a successful Saturday. Check out the lineup below.
Brothers Drake will have their usual lineup of mead, cocktails, and beer, including some relatively new mead additions such as Vanilla Ginger. On top of their rapidly expanding selection, they’ll have the following especially for Mead Day.
- $10 Mead Day Flight: Cherry Chipotle, Blueberry Chai, Chocolate Raspberry, and Hopped Raspberry. I won’t lie – this is pretty much the reason I’m going.
- Special Mead Day release: Chocolate Raspberry mead, limit 2 per guest, 100 bottles.
- Re-release: 2012 Apple Pie, limit 1 per guest. Sweet, but delicious.
You gotta eat. They’ll have food all day long.
- 11AM – 1PM: Taste of Belgium Waffles. Free waffles! They’re good, I had some last year on Apple Pie day.
- 1PM – close: Tokyo Go-Go, the adjacent Japanese food truck, will be serving up a full menu of mead-infused offerings.
Surprisingly enough, mead day is a family-friendly activity. Kids will get a kick out of the waffles and honey tasting.
- 12PM: Meadmaking demonstration. Learn just how easy it is to make at home! (I say it’s easy…I should wait to see how my first batch turns out.)
- 1PM – 4PM: Free tours on the hour. Come see how the pros do it.
- Local supplier Brad’s Bees is offering a free honey tasting.
- 1PM – 3PM: Eric Nassau (acoustic folk)
- 5PM – 6PM: Dance Troup (African beat and dance)
- 7PM – 9PM: Uptown Buddha (funk/hip hop)
- 10PM Sassafraz
This is a guest post from Sage Wolfe. Sage is an engineering grad student who loves beer, cars, and guns — in that order. At least right now. A homebrewer and gay for anything Belgian.